The following organisations are seeking an Honorary Treasurer:
Nautical Museums Trust Limited
Added: 27 April 2017
This non-profitmaking charitable trust (a limited company), owns and runs the independent, Arts Council accredited, Shipwreck Museum and gift shop, with its important collection of maritime artefacts. It also owns three historic shipwrecks, and organises events including guided tours of the local wreck of the 18th century Dutch East Indiaman, Amsterdam.
The immediate plan and priority is to develop and diversify our income streams and strengthen our capability. Longer term, we have ambitious plans to seek funding to extend the existing museum to create additional space for educational and other visitor facilities as well as for display and conservation.
We are based at The Shipwreck Museum, Rock-a-Nore Road, Hastings, East Sussex TN34 3DW.
The person should be qualified either as an accountant or as a bookkeeper and is needed to oversee, report on and advise the Trustees on the finances that are otherwise in the care of the Business Director.
The Hon. Treasurer is not required to undertake day to day financial management.
Specific tasks include:
- Working with the Business Director to oversee the monthly and year end reporting to the Board.
- Liaising with the auditor on the Annual Reports to the Trustees, the Charity Commission and to Companies House.
- Advising the Board of Trustees on relevant financial matters, such as financial policies and relations with the bank.
- Finalising the annual budget for the forthcoming year.
Our Accountants are Manningtons of Hastings - Alex Thomson of that firm is our Company Secretary.
Please see the Treasurer Role Specification for more information or contact:
Ros Pulfer, NMT trustee, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01424 444769
Shipwreck Museum's website: Shipwreck Museum
Charitable Trusts West Midlands (CTWM)
Added: 27 April 2017
Established in 1975 CTWM is the leading membership association for trusts and foundations and other funders in the West Midlands. Currently there are 70 members ranging from large national trusts that give grants in the region to local grant givers and individuals. Charitable Trusts West Midlands is a small unincorporated and unregistered not for profit organization but has applied to become a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO). The CTWM provides funders with an opportunity to share and learn from each others experience of grant giving and develop good practice in grant making; explore matters of common concern, and forge productive relationships that contribute to the wider benefits and overall sustainability of the region’s voluntary and community sector. The organisation also aims to provide a route for charitable trust funders to be able to engage formally with private and public funders and their networks to increase opportunities for co-ordination and collaboration to better meet the needs of the diverse communities in the region.
We organise an annual programme of talks, seminars, workshop and networking events for members and guests; Maintain a members website, which provides information on the annual programme of events, publications, briefings, news items relevant to the work of trusts and foundations, and produce a quarterly news update and events e-bulletin; Link with other relevant regional membership organisations that have a common interest in supporting the development of the voluntary and community sector in the region.
The Charity is based in Birmingham and is hosted by Harborne Parish Lands Charity, 109 Court Oak Road, B17 9AA.
The person will need to prepare the draft end of year accounts for independent examination. In particular they will need to be able to undertake the following:
- Advising the Committee on any developments in regulations and charitable requirements that affect the financial management and accounting of charities and charitable trusts.
- Oversee the production of quarterly management accounts that are presented at the Executive Committee meetings.
- Liaise with the Independent Examiner on the signing off of end of year accounts and present the final accounts to members at the Annual General Meeting.
- Supporting the development of WM Funders Network membership ‘offer’ and the recruitment and retention of members.
- Help support the Secretary in the production of suitable and appropriate financial and accounting policies and procedures for Executive Committee approval.
- Provide financial management advice to the Executive Committee and contribute to the development of a strategy and business plan as part of its annual business planning process.
- Support the Chair and Secretary in the development of budgets and financial plans to take forward and implement as part of the business planning.
- Share their skills and knowledge with other Executive Committee members through informal training.
Please see the Treasurer Role Outline for more information or contact:
Pauline Roche, Chair
CTWM's website: Charitable Trusts West Midlands
Stoke Mandeville Spinal Research (SMSR)
Closing date: 1 June 2017
Stoke Mandeville Spinal Research (SMSR) is committed to improving the quality of life for people with spinal cord injury throughout the UK. Founded in 2006 and based at the world renowned National Spinal Injuries Centre, our research focuses on three core areas:
- Alleviating the medical complications of spinal cord injury, such as bladder infections, pressure ulcers and pain
- Working with new technology to improve independence and neurorehabilitation
- Ensuring people with spinal cord injury realise their true potential in life
This is a home-based position. Ideally this role will be filled by someone with a background in finance and accounting at a senior level. This person will take a strategic view of the charity and its finances, and oversee the financial duties which are carried out on a day to day basis by the SMSR book keeper. In terms of time, we would expect 2-3 hours a week if possible, and the commitment to attend the majority of our trustee meetings which take place every 6-8 weeks in Stoke Mandeville.
Please see the Treasurer Role Description for more information or contact:
01296 315255 or 07792 407298
SMSR's website: Stoke Mandeville Spinal Research